Why is Cotton so great? Where do I begin.....
Cotton is a natural crop that has been used by humans dated back to 600BC. Cotton is harvested like many other crops - by humans who farm and till the land! It has always been a labor intensive process but one so worth it because of the tremendous benefits of its use in fabric. Cotton has many advantages, such as its ability to control moisture, insulate, provide comfort and it is also hypoallergenic, weather-proof and is a durable fabric.
Here are other reasons we LOVE Cotton:
- Cotton is naturally absorbent and doesn’t show perspiration like synthetics do and it helps keep you dry naturally.
- Cotton is soft, absorbent and breathable. So, if your clothes are itchy, irritating, stiff or clingy, look on your label because your clothing may not be cotton-rich. Learn about what determines comfort in a fiber.
- Don’t get caught in a sweat trap! Cotton breathes better than oil-based synthetic fabrics like polyester,* so it’s the better to wear when you’re working out. Not to mention that moisture-wicking cotton is specially designed to keep you drier and cooler during exercise.
- *Marjory Joseph. Introductory Textile Science, 5th Edition, 1984, pp. 358-359.
No Bad Odors
- When you’re cooking dinner, working out or sitting around the campfire, your clothes are bound to soak in different odors. With cotton, you don’t have to worry. It releases stinky substances more easily than other fabrics once it’s in the washing machine. Learn about what causes clothing to smell.
Proven to help you sleep better!
- Cotton is unlikely to cause an allergic reaction than other fabrics.
- Cotton is strong, tough and not afraid to get its fibers dirty. You can rely on it to last a long time and not fall apart on the first wear. From durable work clothes to timeless LBDs, stock your closet with cotton because it’s in it for the long haul.
- Cotton is a lot of things, but it’s definitely NOT clingy! Static cling can be blamed for many an embarrassing fabric fail, but cotton is never the culprit because it can’t hold an electric charge. So if you want cling-free clothes, stick with cotton. Learn about what causes static cling.
- Cotton has been around for thousands of years making it one of the world’s oldest fibers. It is annually renewable, biodegradable, and regulated by the USDA.
- You don’t have to wash it because it doesn’t retain odors like oil-based fabrics, you can save your clothes a few trips to the hamper because cotton doesn't get dirty after 1 wear. Plus you’ll save money, water and energy, and help your clothes last even longer.
- If people think pilling is wrong, then choosing cotton has to be right! Pills are pesky balls of tangled fibers that pop up on your clothes when the fabric rubs against itself or another material. Once nylon, polyester and blends pill, it’s permanent, while cotton sheds any pills in the wash. So if you want your clothes to stay smooth, check the label before you buy. Learn about what causes clothing to pill.
- From work to play, athletic wear to evening wear, cotton is there. The fiber is so versatile that it can be woven or knitted into a bunch of different fabrics like corduroy, chambray, lace and velour. So no matter what the occasion, cotton has you covered.